Sunday, October 21, 2012

French Onion Soup

I love the Fall.  The mountains around here are so beautiful this time of year.  I love having my windows open all day & then snuggling under my down comforter when it's time for bed.  I love the Halloween parties & Trick-or-Treaters.  In fact, the only thing that I don't like about Fall is that it never seems to last long enough.  

I also love the wonderful foods that I start to make once the weather cools down.  I mean, I know I can make any food, any time of the year but who really wants to make a hot soup or a heavy stew when it's 100'F outside.  

This last week I decided to try  making a French Onion soup.  I have always enjoyed eating it at restaurants but I've never tried making it myself.  It definitely is a recipe that needs to be planned way ahead of time but it's really simple.  I just threw my onions into the pot & went about my day (folding laundry, reading a book, vacuuming, reading a book, picking up the toys, reading a book ... you get the idea).  

You can find this recipe at Closet Cooking and check out her photographs, too.  All that melty cheese looks oh-so-yummy.  Hmm, maybe this is what I should make for dinner tonight.

Doesn't this look amazing?  And just imagine, underneath is a delicious bowl of sweet caramelized onions in a hot beef broth. 



I know this looks like a lot of onions but trust me, they will really cook down & you'll be glad you used so many.  **Hint:  They will cook down faster if you put a lid on top**


Here are the onions along with the beef broth & other seasonings.  Only thing left to do is pour it into bowls & top with the cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment