Sunday, February 24, 2013

Construction Cake with "Construction Tape" inside

When my, then 2 year old, asked for a bulldozer cake for his 3rd birthday, I immediately thought of a 9x13 cake with sprinkles and a truck sitting on top.  Can we say BORING!?!  

I found this cake tutorial Fredellicios and decided to try it out.  While I love how the cake is decorated, my favorite (and most stressful part) was the cake itself.  I knew the theory behind what I was doing but it wasn't until I cut into the cake that I knew it had worked.  And now you're probably wondering what was so great about the inside of the cake, so let me show you ...


Construction Tape!!!
Seriously, didn't it just turn out so cute.  Sorry for all the crumbs but I quickly took the photos while party guests were waiting for their slices.




Construction Cake

  • 1 8" round White Cake, colored yellow
  • 1 8" round Chocolate Cake, colored black
  • 3 batches of Buttercream Frosting with Chocolate
  • Oreos, crushed
  • Candy Rocks
  • Small construction truck

I could type up all of these directions but Lauren, over at Fredellicious has done such a great photo tutorial, I thought I would just link to her site for this post.

This is the link for her Slanted Cake tutorial
and this is the link for her Construction Cake

Bottom Layer of my cake


Top layer of my cake


He absolutely loved his cake.

Yeah!!! The stripes worked




No comments:

Post a Comment