Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Growing Green Onions

I probably use green onions once a week in my meals.  That being said, I only ever need 2 or 3 green onions but I have to buy them in bundles of something like 10.  I hate wasting food so I throw the extras into my vegetable bin & there they sit until they become wilted & slimy & then I throw them away. 

Well, I'm happy to say that I no longer throw them away (or buy them).  This little trick is something that my sister found on Pintrest & I had to try.  Check out the results.



Day 3
I didn't take a photo of when I first cut them because honestly I didn't think it would work.  
You can see where the onion was originally cut, though.

Day 8



Day 11



To try this, you'll want to cut & use the green but leave the white part of the onion.  Put the white part into a cup of water so that the ball part is covered but the cut end is in the air.  As long as you keep the water filled, the roots will grow & so will the onion.

I've since used all the green 3 or 4 times.  It's starting to not grow as quickly so I'm guessing eventually I'll have to throw these ones away & buy new ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment